Will these proposed uses/developments decrease open and green space for parklands users?
No. The two areas that have been identified are not currently maintained or used by park patrons. They are situated on the perimetre of the Parklands, and are are not considered to be of high conservation or recreation value. In the case of the Eastern Creek site, it is located adjacent to the M7 and Great Western Highway which effectively isolates it from the rest of the Parklands. The Wetherill Park site will be an extension of the industrial estate that already exists.
Why is development permitted in a public park?
When the Parkland was established, it was earmarked for open space and also as an infrastructure corridor. This dates back to the Sydney Regional outline plan of 1968, determining the area to be a mixed-use corridor. (Open space and infrastructure). This was echoed in the 2006 Western Sydney Parklands Act of Parliament and then documented in the 2010 Plan of Management. The Plan of Management states that the Parklands be home to a wide range of uses:
40% dedicated to bushland
25% sport and recreation
22% long term infrastructure (water storage, electricity easements, gas sewerage)
10% urban farming
2% business hubs
Are you `selling' the land?
No. The land is to be leased. The 2010 Plan of Management set aside 2% of the Parklands to generate income for the management and enhancement of the remaining 98% of the Parklands's 5,280 ha. These sites are part of that 2%. By `leasing them', the Parklands will have a long term source of revenue.
What about the impact on Wildlife?
These areas have specifically been chosen because they are in already very urban areas and are of low conservation value. We're confident there will be insignificant impact on wildlife particularly as these areas are not located anywhere near our core bushland areas. However, as part of the Development Application we will be undertaking a full environmental assessment.
What consultation will you be undertaking?
We have already started consultation and we will continue with information sessions with all stakeholders including the community, information on our website, letters, email enquires, and a telephone hotline. That number is 1800 252 040. Local residents in the immediate vicinity have been advised and we are meeting with many stakeholders over the coming weeks.