Draft Landscape Master Plan
A key action of Fernhill Estate’s Foundation Plan of Management 2026 is to develop a Landscape Master Plan for the Estate. In early 2021, we engaged community and stakeholders in the preparation of the Fernhill Estate Draft Landscape Master Plan. Close to 300 members of the community participated in a community drop-in session at the Estate’s Hayshed. We also spoke with a number of local stakeholder groups and design sessions were held with representatives of Penrith City Council and First Nations community members.
Valuable insights from the community and stakeholders have been used to shape the Draft Landscape Master Plan. Key themes included:
- Future activation of Fernhill Estate should be sensitive and low impact including passive recreation facilities such as picnic facilities and children’s play
- Access to and around Fernhill Estate should be a key focus of the Plan, including improved vehicle access from Mulgoa Road and new opportunities for walking and cycling within and around the Estate
- Living heritage is important – including First Nations People, colonial settlers and shared culture and stories
- The importance of protecting and enhancing the natural environment including bushlands, waterways, bird and animal life
- A desire for appropriate adaptive reuse of existing buildings for small-scale commercial, social and community uses
- A need to consider the types of equestrian facilities and activities available for the community
The Draft Landscape Master Plan was open for community feedback from November 2021 – February 2022.
Community feedback is central to the next chapter for Fernhill Estate, as this extraordinary place opens its doors as a public park. Greater Sydney Parklands has collected valuable feedback on Fernhill Estate’s Draft Landscape Master Plan. We will release a What we Heard report soon and consider all submissions as we finalise the Landscape Master Plan.
- Read Fernhill’s Draft Landscape Master Plan summary brochure.
- Watch the design webinar where you’ll meet the design team and hear about the process of preparing the Draft Landscape Master Plan.
If you need to get in touch with us regarding Fernhill, please email firstname.lastname@example.org