Fresh produce right at your doorstep! Head over to the Parklands Urban Farms.
Approximately 5% (264 hectares) of the Parklands has been set aside for Urban Farming. The first farming precinct in the Parklands is located in Horsley Park, adjacent to the M7 Motorway and The Horsley Drive.
We currently have approximately 100 hectares of active farms at Horsley Park. This land was farmed many years ago but remained vacant until we activated it again over the last 5 years.
Looking ahead, our vision is for a Farm Gate Trail, allowing locals and visitors to buy fresh produce directly from many growers. People will be able to cycle or stroll to market gardens once we’ve installed a network of new paths and trails we’re planning. There is also plans for a community farming hub and café.
Partnering with Fairfield City Council, we’re doing preparation work in the urban farming precinct to allow for new walking and cycling tracks and street tree planting. The new tracks will be adjacent to roads that connect into the existing Parklands walking and cycling network and the M7 shared path.
Paddock to plate
In the meantime, we have two farms selling their produce direct to the public at roadside stalls. Sun Fresh Farms and Westside Growers are family-run businesses located on Ferrers Road. They offer a wide range of just-picked produce, such as leafy green vegetables and delicious strawberries.
We also have Lizard Log Markets offering produce boxes sourced from our urban farms.
The farm gate trail is still a way off, but we are committed to it in our Horsley Park Urban Farming Masterplan 2019 which also describes our vision for:
- Creating a place of peri-urban agriculture that celebrates a genuine rural character
- Promoting a best-practice approach to farming, and creating a socially engaging experience for the community
- Creating a farming and agriculture destination that helps people in urban areas to understand where food comes from
- Celebrating local food production and culture
- Complementing other agricultural precincts in Western Sydney